In light of the economical and environmental issues the world is facing today, finding ways to save home energy is quickly becoming a top priority in the lives of most people.
Here are 10 Saving Energy House Tips that will help you save money on your monthly utility bills and have a positive impact on the honeywell thermostat flashing cool on:
- Adjust the temperature settings on your thermostat for optimal performance and you can reduce your heating costs substantially. Just lowering the temperature by a couple of degrees can save as much as three percent on your monthly electricity bill. If you want to really maximize your savings, consider lowering the thermostat settings even more when you are not at home and at night.
- An improper temperature setting on your water heater’s thermostat is another major waste of energy. Keep the water heater’s thermostat at no more than 60 degrees Celsius or 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Setting the thermostat any higher than that will just force the water heater to add more cold water until the temperature is just right for your usage.
- It cannot be emphasized enough to turn the lights off when you leave a room or are not actively using them.
- Turn your electrical appliances off completely when not in use or consider using a smart surge protector. A lot of appliances today have a “standby” mode which lets you activate them quickly and conveniently. However, leaving your appliances on can waste up to ten percent or more of your electricity. This is definitely not what a saving energy house needs to be efficient.
- Never leave certain appliances plugged in. There are some appliances designed to consume electricity even when they are not in use. The microwave is a good example of this. Sometimes, all you need to do to have a more efficient saving energy house is take that extra second to reach out and unplug your appliance.
- Optimize the power options of your computer. Instead of using a screen-saver, adjust your settings so that your monitor shuts off automatically when the computer is idle. Doing this can save up to a hundred dollars on your electricity bill annually. Now how is that for having a more saving energy house?
- LCD monitors for your computer consume a lot less electricity than conventional CRT monitors. They also require a lot less space and typically look better on your desk. Such a simple upgrade will undoubtedly help make your saving energy house a lot more efficient.
- Incandescent light bulbs are ancient relics that provide way too little illumination while consuming way too much energy. Replace any incandescent bulbs with fluorescent compact bulbs and you will be able to significantly reduce your energy consumption in a short period of time.
- When you are in the market for new appliances, purchase ones with the Energy Star logo and an Energy Efficient Ratio of 10 or more. To reap double savings, purchase appliances you can take a tax credit for at the end of the year.
- A simple choice like purchasing a front-loading washing machine over a top-loading machine can result in major electricity and water savings. Another laundry-related tip you can do to conserve energy would be to dry your clothes on a clothesline instead of relying on an electric dryer when the weather’s nice.